Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Too Much Hospitality!

This morning art class was held in Talin, a city about a half hour away. During every break, I am given as many cups of tea as I can drink (and sometimes candy, boiled ears of corn, etc). During one of our breaks this morning, one of the students told me that she had prepared a special rice ball for my lunch. She would send it home with me and I could eat it with any vegetables I wanted.

After class the teacher explained to me that I would be riding back to Chiayi with a different student since he had to go teach another class in another city. I was sent off with a Chinese wedding cake.

Then, the students invited me into their house. I was given a bag of nut candies. Then they took me out to lunch and ordered a platter of goose, three plates of sushi, soup, and the Taiwanese staple of cabbage sauteed with garlic. When it was time to go, they had the cook package the left-over goose for me to take home, and then ordered another plate of sushi so that I could bring some back to my brother.

This was the biggest meal I'd eaten in some time. The students didn't speak English, so I couldn't really refuse. When I got home, I fell over onto my bed and slept solidly for at least an hour... I still feel dazed. I brought most of the food over to Joe's to share with him and Fiona.

I'm discovering that it's much easier to just accept generosity than try to wave it away, which is exhausting and typically futile, anyway, and maybe just plain American, I don't know. And, as Joe pointed out, it makes them happy to be generous. So now I just accept the gifts and offer thanks.

Usually I'm not even asked if I want anything I'm just asked WHAT I want -- after class I'm asked "what do you want for lunch, rice, noodles, sushi, or blankety-blank?" And I say "oh, I'm not hungry" and they say "which is your favorite?" "Rice," I say, imagining a small bowl of rice (a completely sufficient lunch) -- but, no, "rice" actually means rice and vegetables and soup and meat.... Just as "noodles" means noodles and eggs and meat and greens and broth and a plate of sliced tofu...

"Wo bao le, wo bao le" I sometimes cry -- I'm full, I'm full. "Ah!!" They smile, pleased, if I say this after a meal.

Good thing I live right next to a running track (which, yes, I often visit twice daily).

1 comment:

Jo Pender said...

I know exactly what you mean, and have experienced the same generosity from my students. As you have learned, the best thing to do is say, "Thanks." They love to treat you and make you feel special. How wonderful it is for all!