Sunday, March 14, 2010

Last Night

I had a dream last night that we had an earthquake. First it was up and down, which I remembered was bad, and then it was side to side, which I remembered was better. I was in my room, a nice white box, and Joe was there, too. The movement was dizzying, and the building swayed side to side further and further until suddenly I realized we were going over sideways, and I was looking down at the wall which was becoming the new floor.

I was sure the room would rip apart, collapse: we would be buried, or Joe would fall to one side and I would fall to the other. So I grabbed onto his hand so we wouldn’t be separated. But the room stayed intact, and things didn’t even fall into a jumble. It kept turning-- walls were ceiling, ceiling was floor, floor was wall – and we were spinning as if suspended in outer space. I lost hold of Joe but that was okay, because we weren't falling; we hovered in the middle, because there wasn’t a direction to fall down to anymore. “April,” Joe said, as if to wake me, “look - we’re floating.”