Monday, March 22, 2010

Too Difficult?

Perhaps my readership has a patchy history with poetry. I just consulted google analytics to confirm I wasn't the only person reading myself, and I'm not. So I'm revising my assignment. How about ANY kind of writing?

Here's a draft of my own poetry-that-fed-me chronology chart... Beginning with Wordsworth when I was, what, eight maybe? and going up to present, with Booth...

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud - William Wordsworth
Ode to the Storm - Pablo Neruda
Grits Ain't Groceries (first verse) - Little Willie John(?)
Butterflies Under Persimmon - Mark Jarman
Bucolic (eek, the moss one, which number?) - Maurice Manning
Wild Geese - Mary Oliver
From Blossoms - Li-Young Lee
The Peace of Wild Things - Wendell Berry
First Lesson - Philip Booth

Of course, to include stories, nonfiction, the whole gamut, hm, that would be a very different list. I'll have to think about that.

Novels that fed me... the books seem strange to me, now. Some I have reread and haven't appreciated so much the second time. But which ones have fed me, at least once?

Miss Rumphius - Barbara Cooney
Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
Narcissus and Goldmund - Herman Hesse
To the Lighthouse - Viginia Woolf
The Summer Book - Tove Jansson

There -- the slimmest list possible, representing childhood, youth, high school, college, and post-college.

Nonfiction.... this is the hardest list. But of the dozens petitioning me for a spot, one stands out head and shoulders above the rest: The Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing.

So there. There's mine.

4 comments:

Mike McLaren said...

Kid
• Dr. Seuss: One Fish Blue Fish
• Paul Revere's Ride by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Youth
• Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
• The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
• The Raven by Edgar Alan Poe
• The Waste Land by T. S. Eliot
• Dover Beach by Matthew Arnold

College
• Anything by Richard Brautigan
• Shakespeare
• Chaucer
• Pablo Neruda
• Langston Hughes
• Czeslaw Milosz
• Do not go gentle into that good night by Dylan Thomas
• America by Allen Ginsberg

Now
• Forrest Hammer
• Carl Sandburg
• William Carlos Williams
• Robert Penn Warren
• M.S. Merwin
• Denise Levertov
• Billy Collins
• Funeral Blues by W.H. Auden


so much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
—William Carlos Williams

April said...

You are KIDDING about Paul Revere's Ride!!! That was one of the first poems I tried to memorize! I got only as far as fifth verse, though.

April said...

Oh Hell Yeah for William Carlos Williams!!! We ran him for poetry month last year.

Unknown said...

I've been thinking all day about this. I didnt come to poetry proper until college. When I was young, it was the MUSIC. The 60's,70's. Bob
Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins,Carol King, James Taylor. Jackson Browne, the Beatles, and many, many more. Then I caught fire with Nikos Kazantzakis... Zorba, Report to Greco....poetry..his Modern Odyssey..the first poetry I remember was Gibran, since then Hafiz, Rumi, Williams...I have grown to love Mary Oliver...the beautiful prose of Jean Giono....Wendell Berry...Emerson and Thoreau, over and over. The sweet melancholy of Loren Eiseley. I can love a novel for just a page of beautiful prose. Dad