Tuesday, May 11, 2010

An Unusual Dream

Last night I dreamt about a world filled with birds. In this world, people watched birds for guidance. The birds were messengers, of a sort, or they were foreshadows, maybe. I remember reading about augurs years and years ago--these were people who watched the birds for signs, believing that they were demonstrating messages from the gods or hinting at fate, I'm not sure.

In my dream I was floating on the surface of a pond, watching a bird build a nest beneath a footbridge. I wasn't floating in the water; I was resting upon its surface and was completely dry. The bird looked like a long-tailed mourning dove. The nest it was building was also resting upon the surface of the water. Soon a second dove joined in. I found I wasn't alone on the surface of the water.

Later in my dream I met a blue and gold macaw. He was in a large, old fashioned parrot cage, and handwritten poems, all devotional verses to him, were hanging on strings inside, and were perferorated around the edges where he had pierced them with his beak. I took him out and he climbed up on my shoulder and started mumbling. I didn't understand him, but I also knew he was somebody else's guide, not mine.

In the third part of my dream I was in a courtyard surrounded by freestanding shelves, cabinets, and doors, positioned randomly among trees and shrubbery. The periphery was a dense wall of fog. Every door I opened revealed shelves of food rations. I knew there wouldn't be enough for everybody, so I announced to the invisible general public that I would voluntarily go without my share in the hopes that at least a few others might survive.

No comments: