Monday, April 12, 2010

Honeychild Cleared


The vet came out today to examine Honeychild. Since Honeychild is, yes, "livestock," she has to have a 30-day Health Certificate to travel between states. After some prodding, listening, and looking, the vet nodded his head and declared her fit for transport.

Honeychild is, in fact, happier than I think I've ever seen her. She is so excited about spring. She also seems better behaved than ever -- I think she's trying to be especially good for fear I'll leave again.

Because I've had more free time this month than I've ever had in Oregon, I've gotten to spend more leisure time with Honeychild. I give her a good thorough brushing every morning before letting her out into her field, where she promptly drops to her knees and rolls in the biggest patch of mud she can find. She's shedding out nicely and her dapples are already putting on their summer shine.

Yesterday Andy and I saw a bald eagle soaring over her paddock when we pulled up. Today I didn't see the eagle, but I saw three red-tailed hawks circling instead. I also saw a slug that was at least six inches long.

The vet asked if Honeychild and I were planning on riding to Tennessee. "No," I said, "we're going by diesel engine. But if we decide to come back, we'll ride."

No comments: