Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Bookstore

My new job. Shortly after arriving in Corvallis I was hired in a small independent bookstore downtown. The bookstore is owned and run by a married couple who are kind as kin. The manager and staff are as dear as the owners. I have such tremendously wonderful luck with employment! I'm really delighted to be surrounded by books and people who love to read, though admittedly, it's changed the routine of my life quite dramatically.

I haven't been reabsorbed into society so completely as to require an alarm clock or a wristwatch yet, but I feel such developments are immanent. Working in the afternoons means hurrying to the stable in the mornings to care for the mules and then hurrying back into town to pack my lunch and change attire from hay-covered sweatshirts and mud-spattered jeans to dangly earrings and blouses and skirts. My wards transform, too, from long-eared hay browsers to inquisitive book browsers. Ah, the lives possible on this earth!

My day at the bookstore usually ends with a visit to the library where I check out all of the new books I've decided to read. I have no less than nine books on my nightstand tonight, including books from the poetry, psychology, fiction, science, and nonfiction genres. I cook a late dinner once home and then fall into bed to read a few chapters and then write until I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

Love,
~April

No comments: