Monday, September 8, 2008

We're in Corvallis!

Can it be real? Honeychild and I made it to Corvallis, Oregon, in the warm breezy hours of the deep dark night. Honey bolted off that horsetrailer like a honeybee chasing a hungry bear - she was a big tired Muley who needed to pee in deep wood shavings and roll and shake in a dust hole. Once Muley was happily settled into her big new stall I crawled off to my own fluffy cloud. I'd planned on staying in the bunkhouse, but the night was so mild and lush that I couldn't stand to be out of it. I unrolled my sleeping bag in the night-shadow of an apple tree and swapped out my dusty travel clothes for long johns. Half way through my task I collapsed and fell back, staring at the stars above me. The insects chirruped loudly from the trees crowding around the edge of the lawn. "What wonderful heaven," I thought to myself. "Trees, trees, trees, trees, trees." I held my eyes on the stars and waited for my sign. A moment later, a shooting star darted across the bottom of the sky. "Good," I thought, "I'm in the right place."

Waking up in the morning was like finding myself in the middle of a surprise gift and unwrapping it from the inside out. I'd driven into Corvallis in the dark, so I scarcely knew what surrounded me. When dawn broke, I found I was in the midst of trees, dhalias, sunflowers, barns, outbuildings, and dozens of mules. I plucked my breakfast from an obliging branch and set off to explore. There was Muley, head hanging out of her stall, braying to me. I haltered her and led her out for a walk. Rounding the barn, another surprise greeted us -- a zorse (a zebra-horse hybrid) was grazing contentedly in a small pen. Just beyond it, a male peacock was settled on the grass. And above the peacock was an oak tree! An OAK tree! What relief. Oak trees and apple trees will make this place home.

2 comments:

Jo Pender said...

FINALLY!!! You made it! Not only does Corvallis have oak trees and apple trees but also lots of hugs!

Anonymous said...

Ahh Miss April,
So, the west coast huh? Well girl, keep it up! You are amazing, strong, insightful, brave, and an inspiration. Give the Honeychild a big ol chio hug, and keep making those fires!
With love, admiration, respect, and a big toothy smile~
Chio